Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Summer's here!

As if Memorial Day going by wasn't enough of a sign that summer's here, today's 80+ degree temperatures totally convinced me. That's why I'm so happy I just finished up my new short-sleeved cotton sweater:

Cotton Fleece

It's from the new Nashua pattern collection, North American Designer Collection #4. I substituted the Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece for the specified yarn, and I couldn't be happier. Having just 20% of merino wool in there with the cotton makes it easier to work with, plus it makes the lace pattern more blockable.

What makes me really proud of this sweater are the darts I added! The pattern has pretty minimal shaping in it, and I would've had to make a larger size for it to fit. Not wanting to look like I was wearing sack, I made a smaller size and just added shaping where it was needed. A minimal amount of math and two side darts later = a sweater that fits! There's really something about clothes tailored to fit you, you just can't help but smile when wearing them. And really, why go through all the time and energy of making something by hand if it's going to fit you like something pulled off a rack? I have a feeling I'll be wearing this one a lot this summer.

Interested in learning more about darts and shaping? Hilltop resident expert Jule (she taught me everything I know on the subject) is teaching a "Summer Shape-Up" class, Saturday, June 9th and 16th. Check out the Hilltop website for more info.

5 Comments:

At 6:51 AM, Blogger Wendee said...

Martine, this is great! I need to learn to make darts - I consistently have shaping problems. I'm going to check into Jule's class.

Will I see you on Saturday's knit night? I've missed it so many times - I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Sereknitty said...

What is the pattern you used for the top? It is lovely. You did a wonderful job and have every reason to smile while wearing it.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Martine said...

Thanks Wendee!

I'm definitely going Saturday night; I've missed two knit nights in a row, but I'm not going to miss this one!

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Martine said...

Sereknitty, it's called the "Surplice Lace Top." It's in the Nashua Handknits pattern booklet, North American Designer Colleciton No. 4, that just came out this spring. Check it out! It's a great pattern.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger manic hispanic said...

in case anyone was wondering, this sweater looks much better in person. i nearly fainted when i saw it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home