Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Soft Kid Sweater emerges

Soft Kid Round Yoke Sweater


It was a bit of a long haul--I found out my sister is pregnant with twins in the middle of this project, and had to align, realign, then actually focus on some priorities to get things done. I may be learning a lesson from all this, but let's give it a few months to see if I put that lesson into action, eh? My point to you is if you're a one-project person, this is a quick and worthwhile project. If you're a bit pokey, like me, it's a good project because it's easy to pick up again after breaks, and it seamed quickly. You knit front, back and sleeves separately to the armholes, keeping all stitches live, then join for knitting (and decreasing!) in the round to the top. You could knit the body in the round, but definitely swatch in the round if you do.

The sweater above is a size small and took less than 5 skeins (by a healthy bit -- I had about 15 grams left of a 25 gm skein) of the dark blue, and only 10 grams of the aqua. I used the smaller size needles (Rebecca gives you a range) to get gauge, but would've probably used the larger needles for the flowers had I realized how small they'd end up. Also, Rebecca patterns are translated from the original German. This pattern was clear, but one note--in the last row of ribbing, the pattern tells you to increase evenly around by a certain number of stitches, depending on size. I used "m1" or "make one" increases, lifting the bar between stitches and knitting into the back. They're invisible in this pattern, which was great... until I realized I was supposed to thread the crocheted "belt" through that row! Obviously, it worked out fine, but if you're doing the belt/tie, you might want to do those increases as yarn overs (yo's). (If you don't want to crochet the belt, you can use i-cord or your own alternative.)

Also note that the pattern calls for 2 skeins of the contrast color (aqua here). That's because they have you double the yarn for the belt--you really don't need 2 skeins--unless someone else is buying! The only time I've regretted having Soft Kid in my stash is when the cat found it, and even that story ended well (the scarf was auctioned for charity... and won by my sweetie).

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:40 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I love the photo collage! The sweater looks very sweet in person, too. What's wrong with the little flowers?

 
At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful job on the sweater. I think my 16 year old daughter would love it.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Wendee said...

So pretty! Yes, that photo collage is cool!

Missed you guys at knit night. I had a scratchy throat...Did a little home knitting, so I was there in spirit!

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone! If you click on the photo you'll find a link to "flickr toys" where you can create photo collages from Flickr images.

Karen, I actually thought the flowers were fine... until I compared them to the color photo in the magazine. So I guess it's knitter's choice on the flowers & the needle size you pick.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger manic hispanic said...

Daphne, you are a knitting genoius. I'm so glad I tought you everything you know (about everything knit and non-knit). now where it my happy birthday gown, knit in kid silk haze? tee hee.
In all seriousness, you did an amazing job as always. It's things like these that make me proud that you are my co-worker, gal pal, and private dancer--dancer for money.
did i say in ALL seriousness? oops!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home