Saturday, August 19, 2006

A tale of two sweaters

Martine here, Hilltopper for almost a year. For an intro post, I thought I show two sweaters I've worked on. This first is my very first finished object, a Lopi sweater, made out of a bulky tweed.

It's several sizes too large, has many cleverly placed yarn-over eyelets throughout the body, and a fairly noticeable line below the neckline where I ran out of yarn and had to substitute a different dyelot. It took just under two years to finish, which was a mere eight years after I first learned how to knit. It still lives back in New England, but being cozy and warm, my mother appreciates it when walking the dog in winter.

Fast forward fifteen years, and we come to my current project, Rosita. It's the cover sweater from Jaeger 35, and let's just say it's been an challenge. The already complicated lace pattern has some serious errors, but thanks to Hilltop's own Annelie, there's an errata. I substituted RYC Cashcotton 4-ply for Jaeger's Siena and was completely unable to make gauge, so there was some additional pattern monkeying (and going down to size 000 needles for the edging, eeks!) It's been slow going (but faster than my 2 year adventure with the first sweater), and I'm done with the back and both sleeves:

A close-up of the stitch pattern:

I'm now at a decision point, the front. The pattern is a pullover, but I've always thought it would be better as a cardigan. I've already done so many mods on the pattern, that I'm a little daunted about taking on even more for the front shaping. Also, the edges are scalloped, but the fronts would hit crest-to-crest rather than interlocking nicely. Your thoughts? Cardigan? Pullover? Cardigan?

7 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Blogger Megan said...

Go for the Cardi. You know you will love it all the more the the blood, sweat, and tears (just not near the yarn please) that went into it.
I think the picot crests meeting would be charming.

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did the sleeves FAST. I can't wait to see the outcome!

PS You forgot to reveal to the world that you only work on one project at a time.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Martine said...

If her grace, The Duchess, says cardi, cardi it is. I'll blame you when I go over the edge from the math.

Daphne, each sleeve took about 3 weeks! Not fast. Especially, when as you pointed out, the other projects going on at the same time were minimal (but surprisingly, non-zero).

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, not fast. Not like my Big Wool sweater! I have a back and a front already! muahahahaaaaa. Post t/k.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Megan said...

It's Ok, blame me for the math over load if you must. I think I can manage to hide from you for the week or so it will take you to accumulate enough ohhing and ahhing to make you forget all about it. :)

 
At 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say Cardi, seems to me that you have enough people around you who are knowledgeable about knitting to help out figuring it out into a cardi. It would look beautiful as a cardi.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Wendee said...

Wow Martine! It's lovely. Definitely cardi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home