Thursday, August 31, 2006

Buster - the cardigan for the child of a child from the 80s


Meet the modified Buster, a cute little cardigan from Rowan Babies. I made a few modifications to the pattern to suit my fancy, but first we'll get through the bits I didn't change. It's knit up in Rowan Wool Cotton, and I have to say I think this is my new favorite yarn. It's soft, it's smooth, it creates a beautiful even fabric and comes in the greatest range of colors. It's simply a joy to knit with. Something about its classic simplicity is such a respite from all the novelty yarns out there.

Some things I did change: The intarsia design. The pattern calls for a star on either side of the front. However, the last sweater I made for the recipient had a big star on it, and I surely didn't want to repeat myself! So I decided on the Pac Man design instead. (This kid's parents really enjoy their video games.) I also added a zipper in lieu of buttons, partly because I hate sewing on buttons and party because it's so darn cute with the zipper!

I haven't told you the really remarkable thing about this sweater though. This is the very first thing I've knit while I had something else on the needles at the same time. Yes, I'm a monogaknitter. Working on more than one project at a time drives me crazy! I feel like neither project's progressing, and I'm constantly distracted by the other. However, it was necessary in this case. Besides just testing myself to see if I could do it, (and it appears I can, but I certainly don't enjoy it!) I needed something to take to Stitch n Pitch last month. My other WIP was Rosita, the lace sweater on size 0 needles that wouldn't have made it through one inning at the game, let alone a beer and a hotdog. So, I cast on for a few miles of stockinette. Everything worked out okay, but I'm not going to do that one again! I'm a one-project girl and proud of it!

Hope to see everyone at Bumbershoot this weekend! Bring your knitting, it'll be a great time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home